Monday, January 17, 2011

Day #15

Today’s favourite poses: Took Erik's class, so ALL of them! (lol)

Minutes with a relatively quiet mind: 25....(ISH!)

Today’s interesting/thought provoking reading: (Taken from The Path to Tranquility by the Dalai Lama)

I've been thinking alot lately about a friend who passed away. I knew him since I was very young. Although I don't want to use this medium to dwell on his death (like I did in the last blog), I want to acknowledge that I miss him so badly I ache sometimes. This is the teaching found on September 9th (the day he died) in the Path to Tranquility:

Leaving aside memory - which allows us to remember, for example, the experiences of our youth - we all have latent and unconscious tendencies that arise under certain circumstances and influence the way our minds react. Such tendencies are the product of powerful experiences in the recent or distant past, which cause us to react unconsciously without our neccessarily remembering those experiences.

It is difficult to explain these tendencies and how they manifest other than by saying that they are the imprints of past experiences on the subtle consciousness.



4 comments:

  1. There's lots of great stuff here! I watched the first video in this post- very very good :-) Will be back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nathan! I can't wait to read YOUR book!!

    See you soon! ;)

    k.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just watched the second video too... beautiful and simple... I like the fact that there aren't too many different images/themes and you can appreciate the movements of the ocean creatures :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know, right?? It's simply amazing what you can find on YouTube! (besides oodles and oodles of garbage!!)

    I chose the ocean one because so many aspects remind me of my friend Ricky. He loved/loves the ocean and all of her creatures. It also has birds which remind me of him, and he and I both love the writing of other cultures. The music is so peaceful too. I listen to it often during meditation or just to unwind before bed.

    Cheers Nathan!

    ReplyDelete